SoMimi Reviews: Not Your Mother's Beach Babe #NYMBeachBabe

Saturday, August 02, 2014 Unknown 0 Comments

Hey y'all! Happy August! It's hot out there! I don't about you, but for me right now, the beach is better!




I've been having a great summer, and I hope the same goes for you.

Thanks to Influenster, I got to try out Not Your Mother's Beach Babe Texturizing Shampoo and Conditioner (available at Ulta among other retail outlets) and I'm here to share with you the deets. The shampoo and conditioner duo was included in the awesome #SurfsUpVoxBox I recently received from Influenster; which I'll tell you more about later (look out for my next post). But let me get back to basics about the wash.

My first impressions of the duo pre-shampoo: Nice light scent, light non-oily feel, cute packaging, and sulfate-free...major points for that. Worthy of moving on to the next part of the test to see if the shampoo and conditioner were So Mimi, So-so, or Not So.

My natural hair texture is a very fine and frizz prone corkscrew curly 3c.  I typically go to the salon for a twice monthly blowout, which is how I achieve the bone straight look, and maintain it with my Ion One Stroke Flatiron (one of the best I've ever owned, by the way) Here's a hair type chart, in case you aren't sure where you are on the spectrum.


See the chart in full view, plus other good naturalista info via Kinkycurlycoilyme.com


Needless to say, I was curious as to the result that this would have on my specific hair type, and was anxious to see how it would turn out. I love coconut oil and NYMBB has it in the mix, and sea kelp. Heck yeah.

Before NYMBB Shampoo/Conditioner me:


So overdue. I haven't washed my hair in over a week, no kidding. Here goes.


After NYMBB Shampoo/Conditioner:


Cheese! Coconut scented anything makes me smile.


The verdict: It's so-so. Yes, it had a great scent, hair-healthy ingredients, and came in a cute tube, but I was just not completely wowed by NYMBB Texturizing Shampoo or Conditioner. It jumped in the shower ready to wail Amy Winehouse ballads off-key, shampooing my way to luxe locks, but post-wash, as my hair began to dry, I realized I would not be switching from my regular go-to brand. With this, I got a decent clean that didn't strip all my natural oils from the shampoo, but the conditioner left me with a frizz fluff. I tend to stay away from "texturizing" products out of fear they will disrupt my natural curl pattern. Not sure that happened here (you be the judge) but there was something wonky about the volume and lack of shine. All in all, it seems this shampoo and conditioner would work best on someone with fine, straight to wavy hair. And that someone isn't me, unfortunately. If that might be you, give it a try, and feel free to let me know about your experience with Not Your Mothers products in the comments.


In the meantime, here's that Amy Winehouse (love her, RIP) track I was warbling in the shower for your listening pleasure, just in case you were wondering. Catch you next wave. Surf's Up!




0 comments:

Let me know what's on your mind in the comments!

Blog Archive

buzzoole code